Senior Full Stack Engineer, Open Innovation
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
Mozilla has had a long history of using “openness” to achieve impact with its product and policy stances, and recently established an organization-wide “Open by Design” strategy. Our Open Innovation Team is a multi-disciplinary centre of excellence to champion this strategy. Achieving this mandate requires creating, maintaining and integrating systems for participation and contribution by external collaborators in Mozilla (non-employees).
One project we have been leading is Common Voice, our effort to democratize speech technologies. We have created a platform for institutions and individuals who are passionate about speech technologies and languages to contribute their voices and setup new communities. We are working to make this an engaging experience and to make it easy for new communities to get setup. Over the past 2 years, Common Voice has built the largest publicly available, open source voice dataset in the world, in 28 languages (and growing!).
Your initial mandate will be to serve as the lead engineer for Common Voice. This is an exciting opportunity to have impact, at scale, on a speech technologies.Responsibilities
You will develop code (Typescript, MySQL, HTML, CSS — using various frameworks, including Node.js and React) for Open Innovation software projects/products, specifically Common Voice, in alignment with product roadmaps.
You will work with designers to build and deploy prototypes and experiments that test experience concepts. Help evaluate these, identify shortcomings, and plan for iterations inclusive of accessibility and responsive design best practices.
You will partner withproduct managers and designers to implement measurement strategies for analysis of overall engagement and experiments.
You will collaborate with other developers, engineers, QA testers and designers as part of a distributed open source development team. This will involve aligning on quality, code reviews (receiving and giving), engagement with contributors, mentorship, coordinated planning and other collaborative practices.
You will communicate clearly and regularly with teammates around the world, via face-to-face meetings and through asynchronous channels like email, GitHub and Slack.
You will participate in agile software development practices, like daily standups, sprint planning meetings, demos, retrospectives and sprint-based development cycles.Requirements
- Passion to develop excellent products and experiences.
- At least three years of professional experience in full stack web development.
- A solid portfolio of web projects.
- Interest in modern web technologies.
- Fluency in HTML/CSS/JS/TypeScript or other typed languages/(My)SQL.
- Fluency in web application architecture, including data structures.
- Experience with Node.js and React.
- Rapidly conceive, visualize and iterate design solutions in a collaborative environment.
- The ability to translate wireframes, style guides and design direction into polished, production ready visual experiences.
- Empathy for the interaction that people will have with what you build; you create transitions and subtitles that will make a journey more intuitive.
- Awareness of the need for accessibility in implementation and a willingness to collaborate with designers to deliver inclusive experiences.
- Strong communication skills — you communicate your opinions and listen to others.
- Have experience working in multidisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical people.
- Have a track record of delivering excellence under time pressure.
- A willingness to learn and keep growing, both professionally and personally.
- Experience working with version control systems (especially git).
- A good understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Experience with frontend development for Python/Django based projects and CMS.
- Experience translating designs from Zeplin, InVision and Sketch into working code.
- Have worked on contributor or community participation technologies in the past, and have had substantial personal experience contributing to an open source project and community.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.