Engineering Manager, Marketplace Ordering
Olo — Company based in New York, NY
The Marketplace Ordering engineering team at Olo is responsible for connecting tens of thousands of restaurants to the nation’s largest digital ordering marketplaces, enabling delivery and customer choice. We syndicate menus and take orders, pushing them all the way into stores’ point of sale systems. We work with marketplaces to strengthen and scale our integrations. We also work with restaurant brands to improve operations and manage multiple order streams.
As Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of talented engineers in the day-to-day development of new platform services and frameworks. At Olo we value outcomes over output, and seek a leader who can help us understand the broader needs of our product engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet those needs. You will help develop and align the team’s vision, guide their execution, remove impediments to the team’s progress, and coach them to develop and grow both their skills and impactfulness. You will foster a culture of collaboration, communication, accountability, skill sharing, belonging, mutual respect, and curiosity.
We expect our Engineering Managers to be seasoned engineers with the technical experience to both guide and challenge their teams to build robust, high-performing solutions. As a servant leader, your focus will be on facilitating strong team outcomes, hiring and developing engineering talent, and ensuring that our systems are ready to support emerging business priorities. While your primary focus will not be one of designing and developing software, we expect our engineering managers to have a strong software development foundation to be able to effectively guide their teams. As such we expect you to have demonstrable experience in software development that spans architecture and design, coding, quality best practices, and production operational concerns.
Our technology stack is rooted in .NET (C# and F#) and SQL Server running in an AWS infrastructure, and we leverage modern software engineering tools such as GitHub, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Datadog, and Sumo Logic, as well as heavy use of OSS.
This is a full-time position. Candidates may work at Olo’s headquarters in New York City’s Financial District, or remotely from anywhere in the U.S. In fact, more than 75% of our engineering team is remote!
- A passion for computing that extends beyond work
- At least 8 years of software development experience with a progression to a senior technical level
- At least 3 years of engineering management experience under an Agile operational model
- Demonstrated ability to build and mentor a high performance team while seeking continuous improvement
- Ability to translate business priorities into viable technology solutions, and deliver
- Experience in, and good understanding of, large scale, highly performant, distributed systems architecture and principles
- Experience developing realistic project plans, managing stakeholder expectations, and tracking team execution
- Experience instrumenting, deploying, and monitoring production code to enable timely incident detection and response
- Adept at writing unit tests and testable code, and working under distributed version control (preferably Git)
- Experience managing distributed teams consisting largely of remote engineers
- BS degree in a technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
Olo powers digital ordering and delivery programs that connect restaurant brands to the on-demand world, placing orders directly into the restaurant through all order origination points – from a brand’s own website or app, third party marketplaces, social media platforms, smart speakers, and home assistants. Olo serves as the on-demand ordering and delivery platform across 70,000 locations for over 300 brands, such as Applebee’s, Checkers & Rally’s, Cheesecake Factory, Chili’s, Dairy Queen, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Portillo’s Hot Dogs, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more. Learn more at www.olo.com.
Olo is located on the 82nd floor of One World Trade Center. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients' menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map: https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
We encourage you to apply!
At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed to doing our part to move the needle.
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!