Scrapinghub — Company based in Cork, Ireland
QA is an important function within Scrapinghub. The QA team works to ensure that the quality and usability of the data scraped by our web scrapers meets and exceeds the expectations of our enterprise clients.
Are you passionate about data and data quality and integrity?
Do you enjoy using programming languages and tools to automate testing, analyze data, and speed up manual processes?
Are you highly customer-focused with excellent attention to detail?
Due to growing business and the need for ever more sophisticated QA, we are looking for a talented QA Engineer with both automated and manual test experience to join our team. As a Scrapinghub Engineer, you will take automated, semi-automated, and manual approaches and apply them in the verification and validation of data quality. Although Python is our preferred language for automation; demonstrable experience of automating things in other languages (e.g. Groovy, Ruby, PHP etc.) is welcome. And while we are primarily interested in the quality assurance of data, your experience in testing applications, systems, UIs, APIs etc. will be brought to bear on the role.
In addition, while experience in programming languages other than Python is welcome, you must be comfortable at test automation using your language(s) of choice. Please describe this experience clearly in your CV or cover letter, beyond simply listing the programming language as one that was used in the role you held.
- Understand customer web scraping and data requirements; translate these into test approaches that include exploratory manual/visual testing and any additional automated tests deemed appropriate.
- Provide input to our existing test automation frameworks from points of view of test coverage, performance, etc.
- Ensure that project requirements are testable; work with project managers and/or clients to clarify ambiguities before QA begins.
- Take ownership of the end-to-end QA process in newly-started projects.
- Work under minimal supervision and collaborate effectively with Head of QA, Project Managers, and Developers to realize your QA deliverables.
- Draw conclusions about data quality by producing basic descriptive statistics, summaries, and visualisations.
- Proactively suggest and take ownership of improvements to QA processes and methodologies by employing other technologies and tools, including but not limited to: browser add-ons, Excel add-ons, UI-based test automation tools etc.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- Demonstrable programming knowledge and experience, minimum of 3 years (please provide code samples in your application, via a link to GitHub or other publicly-accessible service).
- Minimum 3 years in a Software Test, Software QA, or Software Development role, in Agile, fast-paced environment and projects. Solid grasp of web technologies and protocols (HTML, XPath, JSON, HTTP, CSS etc.); experience in developing tests against HTTP/REST APIs.
- Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes.
- Ability to formulate basic to intermediate SQL queries; comfortable with at least one RDBMS and its utilities
- Excellent level of written and spoken English; confident communicator; able to communicate on both technical and non-technical levels with various stakeholders on all matters of QA
- Knowledge and experience of Scrapy and other Python-based scraping frameworks a distinct advantage.
- Prior experience in a Data QA role (where the focus was on verifying data quality, rather than testing application functionality).
- Interest in and flair for Data Science concepts as they pertain to data analysis and data validation (machine learning, inferential statistics etc.); if you have ideas, mention them in your application.
- Knowledge of and experience in other technologies that support a modern cloud-based software service (Linux, AWS, Docker, Spark, Kafka etc.)
- Previous remote working experience.