Scala Engineer for open source data collection startup
Scala Engineer (Pipeline)
London or remote (UTC +/- 5)
At Snowplow, we are on a mission to empower people to differentiate with data. We provide the technology to enable our customers to not only take control of their data, but empower them to do amazing things with that control.
There are tens of thousands of pipelines using our open source pipeline worldwide, collecting data emitted from over half a million sites. Running on AWS and GCP data technologies, it is ideal for data teams who want to manage their data in real-time in their own cloud. We also collect, validate, enrich and load up to 5 billion events for our customers each day, who also benefit from the features included in our management console.
Snowplow has seen significant growth over the last 12 months and we’re set to grow further in 2019. We’re looking for a Scala Engineer to join our experienced team and progress the core capabilities of our data pipeline.
You will be joining a team of 12 engineers who work closely with our tech ops, support, product and customer teams. There is huge opportunity to learn more about all aspects of engineering and data, from code to customers. We love working with people who jump at the opportunity to own new challenges and are dedicated to building a great team and product!
What you’ll be doing
- Contributing to our many open source projects and adding to the capability of our data pipeline.
- Building services that expose metrics and operations to our management console.
- Continuing to improve our testing and deployment processes so that we can ship features quickly and with confidence.
- Working closely with our Product Office and the wider team on building the best solutions for our customers.
- Being an active part in decision making on what we build and how we deliver it. You’ll bring a different perspective and we’ll want your input!
We’d love to hear from you if
- The idea of working for a growing startup excites you.
- You have experience working collaboratively on complex engineering projects.
- You’ll be technically excellent, ideally including Scala or be able to illustrate your ability to pick the language up quickly.
- Our data security and integrity are fundamental to what we do. You’ll need a solid understanding of security threats and how to overcome them.
- Previous experience in data is a plus, but most importantly you’re passionate about data and how it can empower our customers to make good decisions.
- You don’t wait to be told what to do. You can accept a mission, drive toward it and recognise when you need support or more direction.
- We can’t do everything today. You’ll be pragmatic in your approach to software delivery and balance our speed of learning with our commitment to providing a reliable and trusted service to customers.
- Our remote team depends on expert collaborators to work effectively. You’ll be a great communicator and enjoy working closely with the team.
What you’ll get in return
- A competitive package based on experience, including share options
- 25 days of holiday a year (plus public holidays wherever you’re located)
- Freedom to work from wherever suits you best. We trust our team to find the right environment for them to do their best work
- Two fantastic company Away-Weeks in different European cities each year (last one was in Lisbon in May 2019)
- Enjoy fun events in and around London organised by our Cultural Work Committee
- Grow and develop in a fast-moving, collaborative organisation full of supportive and talented people
- Convenient location in central London (specifically Shoreditch) for frequent collaboration or occasional visits, depending on where you’re based
- Continuous supply of Pact coffee and healthy snacks in the office
- A high spec MacBook or Dell XPS 13/15
Snowplow is dedicated to building and supporting a brilliant, diverse and hugely inclusive team. We don't discriminate against gender, race, religion or belief, disability, age, marital status or sexual orientation. Whatever your background may be, we welcome anyone with talent, drive and emotional intelligence.